Skip to main content

Your Tewksbury Today

GU10-4 Blanks Westford; GU12-5 Stops Reading

May 06, 2014 11:11AM ● By Bill Gilman

Tewksbury Youth Soccer.

Submitted by TYSL

APRIL 26th 

Tewksbury GU10-2 vs Charlestown GU10-1   Score 0-2
The Tewksbury GU10-2 Titans traveled to Charlestown Saturday, April 26th and played in some very wet, windy and cold conditions. In 1st half action, Charlestown took control of offensive action while Tewksbury adjusted to play on the turf. However the Tewksbury Titans settled in quickly and set some of their own offensive tone. Carrina Barron took a nice shot and came up just short of  inside the net when the ball hit the near post. Defensively Tewksbury played solid with defensive backs, Megan Cunningham,  Darya Mehrabani , Callie Finnegan and Victoria Lavargna. Olivia Satterfield, Madison Forigone , Jamie Constantino and Brooklynn DeGrechie played a solid 1st half on offense and had several good scoring opportunities between them.  On a last shift change,  Victoria Lavargna came up to center forward and had a nice break away but was tripped a few yards in front of the goal. She took the direct kick only to have it be deflected off the last defender. The amazing goal tending of Isabella DeMatos kept Tewksbury alive with several outstanding saves and ended the 1st half tied 0-0.
2nd half action was back and forth between the Charlestown and Tewksbury offensive ends. Victoria Lavargna played in goal and came up with some awesome saves throughout the half for Tewksbury. With only 3 minutes remaining, Charlestown got the break that they needed and powered a shot from the left wing to score and put them ahead 1-0. Tewksbury continued to pressure offensively but could not mange to get their needed goal. Charlestown took one last shot a second before the final whistle and squeaked it in the net for their 2nd goal to win the game 2-0.

April 28th 
Tewksbury 1 Westford 0
Tewksbury GU10-4 headed to Westford this past Monday night to play a very talented Westford team.  Both teams battled and it was tied at 0-0 at half-time.  Riley Veits stopped all chances in goal the first half.  Sophia Madera and her dominant throw-ins and goal kicks put the pressure on the offensive end.  Tewksbury capitalized on a Westford mistake when their goalie stepped out of the box while handling the ball.  Sarra Barkallah got to take the direct kick just outside of the 18.  She bombed it in the upper right corner of the net for Tewksbury only goal.  Nicolette Evanglista was dominant in the game earning her the “player of the game” award for the game.  All star extraordinaire goalie Mia Gaglione didn’t let one ball out of her sight. Alexander Fillmore’s speed stifled Westford’s attacks. Ashely Bielecki, Jordan Gardner, Alyssa Devlin, and Nicole Gosse provided constant pressure. Sarra Barkallah and Gabby Diaz-Archilla came up huge on defense.  

May 3rd 

GU12-5  Tewksbury 2- Reading 1
The Tewksbury girls U12-5 travel team were on the road for their third game of the season.  The Tritons headed down to Reading for their late afternoon matchup this past Saturday.  The team was lead onto the field by game captains Ava Nickerson, Caitlyn Finnegan and Kaitlyn Oates.   With the weather warming both teams were ready to play.  Reading was able to get the first shot on net two minutes into the game with Ava Nickerson making the save for the Tritons.  With the ball played out to midfield Sydney DeMasi was able to move past Reading’s defense and get a shot on net that missed wide.  The midfield line of Jade Owirka, Abby Hayes and Kaitlyn Oates dominated the midfield with a much improved ball control and possession compared to their prior two games.    With the added support coming from Caitlyn Finnegan, Lauren Countie, Klara Holden, and Tory Sweeney, the Tritons were able to keep pressure on the Reading goalkeeper and added a combined four more shots on net coming from Sweeny, DeMasi and Countie.  Despites the strong play for Tewksbury, Reading continued to fight and work themselves past the rotating defense of Julia Kirby, Maddie Robillard and Mackenzie Dawson late into the first half.  Nickerson was able to keep Reading pointless for the first half.  The first half closed with both teams scoreless.
With the start of the second half the goalkeeper duties went to Maddie Robillard.  Reading attacked first with Robillard making her first save of the half fifty seconds into play.  With the quick start by Reading, Tewksbury quickly regrouped and had another terrific half controlling the ball in the midfield.   Finnegan, Oates, Hayes, Sweeney and Holden work the ball through midfield and out to the touch lines to help push the drive into the Reading zone and control play for nearly twelve minutes of play.  Lauren Countie and Caitlyn Finnegan had two great opportunities to score from crossing passes from the midfield line.  Reading continued to battle back and had another great scoring chance after getting past the pressuring defense of Kirby and Dawson who got high on the midfield line.  Robillard was able to make the save and keep Reading at bay.  On the quick transition back up field, the Tritons were able to work the ball into the Reading penalty area only to have the ball roll out of bounds for a Reading goal kick.  Klara Holden was able to recover the miss handled goal kick by Reading and score unassisted for the Tritons sixteen minutes into the second half.  One minute later off the restart, a solo Reading player was able to break through the defense and score a low placed shot past Robillard to tie the game 1-1.  The Tritons did not back down after the Reading goal and continued their offensive pressure.  With the ball back in Tewksbury defensive third, Jade Owirka was able to chip the ball up to Sydney DeMasi in the center of the field.  DeMasi was able to battle through the Reading defense and score the Tritons second goal with eleven minutes remaining in the game.  Reading was unable to mount a comeback with the Tritons controlling midfield and Tewksbury was able to finish the game and pull out of Reading with 2-1 victory.  The Tritons are coached by Chuck Kirby, Sean Sweeney and Joe Dawson

GU10-4 Tewksbury 2 Billerica 0
Tewksbury GU10-4 headed to Billerica on a wet and cold Saturday morning but generated their own heat in a 2-0 victory. Led by the strong goal tending of Riley Veits and Mia Gaglione Billerica could not get anything started. Sophia Madera continues to be a game changer with her explosive kicks and superhuman throw-ins. Sarra Barkallah’s versatility has proven to be a tremendous asset to the team effortlessly converting back and forth on offense and defense. Ashley Demers and Nicolette Evangelista were their usual steady self. Alex Fillmore continues to entertain as an absolute pest on defense. Alyssa Devlin continues to handle the ball with great consistency. Goal scorers Jordan Gardner and Ashley Bielecki carried the offense. Gabriella Diaz-Archilla have improved greatly and tormented Billerica all day. 

Tewksbury GU10-2  vs  Wakefield GU10-2    Score 2-3

The Tewksbury GU10-2 Titans played Wakefield at home on Saturday. Tewksbury came out with dominating force in 1st half play and wasted no time to score their first goal. Tewksbury took quick possession with the help of center forward, Carrina Barron. Carrina dribbled quickly up field and gave a nice pass to left wing, Ashlyn Nawn who received the pass then zeroed in on goal and blasted a shot past the Wakefield goalkeeper to score and put Tewksbury up 1-0 only 3 minutes into the 1st half.   Wakefield answered back only minutes later to score their first goal with a chip shot over the head of Tewksbury goalkeeper, Megan Cunningham to tie the game 1-1. However, Tewksbury keep their heads up and showed no sign of letting down. The forward line of Callie Finnegan, Jamie Constantino and Madison Forigone put some serious heat on the Wakefield defense. Callie sent a hard shot that went just wide left of the goal. Moments later Callie put up a beautiful cross through to Madison Forigone who missed short of the goal. The defensive unit of Brooklynn DeGrechie, Isabella Dematos, Darya Mehrabani and Olivia Satterfield was rock soild. Olivia stayed cool and poised under any Wakefield  pressure and Isabella DeMatos made several nice rushes up into Tewksbury offensive territory. With the 1st half winding down, right wing, Victoria Lavargna took possession at midfield and was left with only one defender to beat. Victoria dribbled past the defender with speed and some nice footwork  and then fired a shot on net to score Tewksbury's 2nd goal of the game. Tewksbury closed out the half up 2-1.
Tewksbury came out with the same hustle and intensity to start 2nd half play. The forward lines worked well distributing the ball in the offensive zone.  Ashlyn Nawn, Jamie Constantino, Madison Forigone, Carrina Barron, Victoria Lavargna and Olivia Satterfield kept the pressure on Wakefield's defense and gave Tewksbury quite a few scoring opportunities. Midway through the half, Wakefield took advantage of an opening  in the Tewksbury defense and took a  hard shot which was deflected by  Tewksbury goalkeeper, Brooklynn DeGrechie. The ball went back into play off the deflection and Wakefield's offense flooded the box. Wakefield took 2 more consecutive shots which were fearlessly deflected by Brooklynn. On their 4th try, Wakefield got the ball into the net and tied the game 2-2.  Isabella DeMatos, Darya Mehrabani and Callie Finnegan continued to work tirelessly for Tewksbury on defense and Brooklynn DeGrechie made several more key stops in goal. Tewksbury still remained in control through the half but with less than 4 minutes remaining Wakefield regained control deep in their offensive territory and scored to give them a 3-2 lead. Tewksbury made some quality attempts to score and tie the game but came up short on time. Overall a fantastic game played by the Tewksbury GU10-2 Titans!

May 4th 
BU16-1 Tewksbury 2 vs. Lowell  1

Tewksbury BU16 team ran their record to 3-0 last weekend with a tough 2-1 win over Lowell at Frasca Field on Sunday. The game was played under high wind from sideline to sideline not giving either team an advantage, instead challenging both teams to maintain ball control. The strength of the Lowell team was their defense as the ball was in their end for virtually the whole game, but they limited Tewksbury to just the two goals. Lowell opened the scoring in the game in the eighth minute, taking advantage of one of their few attacks into the opponent's territory. Tewksbury played the ball back from the midfield to their defensive support. But a miscue in ball control allowed the Lowell forward to make a steal and dribble in all alone for an easy score. Tewksbury got the equalizer eight minutes later when Eric Gallant made a quick throw-in before Lowell had a chance to mark up, throwing the ball to Nick McKeon on the right side of the field. McKeon made a nice pass to himself, kicking the ball high into the right corner and beating the defense to the ball. Some good footwork got McKeon free to try a shot, which sailed across the front of the goal. Brandon Alves was positioned smartly on the left post and was able to pound the ball in mid-air to the back of the net. The first half ended at 1-1.
Lowell frustrated the Redmen for the rest of the game as the ball barely crossed midfield, but Tewksbury never really got any good shots on the goal. Tewksbury keeper Raffi Perez was never really challenged again as all his saves were on long, through balls that he could scoop up easily and start the attack with a big punt or smart throw to an open teammate. Any other incursions into Tewksbury's end were quickly squelched by defenders Eric Gallant, Andrew Boudreau, Scott Callahan, and Akash Ranjit. Tewksbury appeared to get the go-ahead goal at the 25 minute mark when Connor MacLean and John Donovan were both scrambling for a loose ball in the goal box along with the Lowell goalie and a couple of defenders, winning the battle and getting the ball over the goal line. But that score was nullified by a controversial interference call by the referee. Tewksbury middies Alec DiCaccio, Chris McCabe, Connor MacLean, and Cody Souza kept the Lowell attack at bay and helped the Redmen maintain their constant pressure on the Lowell defense. It took until 31:00 into the half for Tewksury to get the score that would stand up when McKeon gathered the ball at midfield and went into solo mode carrying the ball around a couple of Lowell defenders and taking a shot from about 25 yards that was high and curving with the wind that the Lowell keeper couldn't judge properly. The ball hit the bottom of the crossbar and into the goal. Given their dominating time of possession, that was the only margin the Redmen needed to get their third win in three tries. Lowell had one last attack in the final minute, but they never got a shot on goal. Next Sunday, it could be a battle of the undefeated teams as Wilmington comes to town.

Follow us on Facebook at Follow us on Twitter at @TewksburyToday Follow us on Instagram at YourTewksburyToday