Skip to main content

Your Tewksbury Today

Tewksbury BU16-1 Slams Burlington, 6-1

May 28, 2014 09:43AM ● By Bill Gilman

On Saturday, the Tewksbury U8 Crazy Eights played three games in the Billerica Memorial Day Tournament. The boys played hard in all of their games and had a great time. Top row: Salvatore Catanzano, Michael Gaglione, Ethan Melanson, Cole Evangelista, Jake Jackson, Kyle Sandberg Bottom Row: Luke Nazzaro, Hunter Johnson, Mason Viets, Benjamin Piccolo, Damian Ortiz

GU12-5  Tewksbury 5- Dracut 3

The Tewksbury U12 -5 girls travel teams were at home for their 6th game of the season. The Tritons were matched up against Dracut after playing them less than a week ago. The Tritons were lead onto the field by game captains Julia Kirby and Caitlyn Finnegan. With the Tritons off to a slow start Dracut was able to work past the defense and place a shot on goal two minutes into the game. Ava Nickerson who started as goalkeeper for the Tritons was able to control the ball and make the save for Tewksbury. The Tritons struggled to control the ball and put pressure on Dracut in the first half. Thirteen minutes into the first half the offensive and midfield lines of Caitlyn Finnegan, Tory Sweeney, Abby Hayes, Klara Holden and Kaitlyn Oates were able to connect on several midfield passes and to move the ball into the Dracut penalty area. Abby Hayes was able to place a shot on net that was knocked down by an arm of the Dracut defender. Dracut was called for handling the ball and a penalty kick was awarded to Tewksbury. Abby Hayes was tapped to take the penalty kick and placed a hard low shot past the Dracut goalkeeper to take a 1-0 lead. After the restart Dracut battled back and moved through the rotating defensive line of Mackenzie Dawson, Julia Kirby and Maddie Robillard who were playing slightly flat. Dracut was able to control the majority if the first half and place several shots on net. Nickerson was able to stop most of Dracut’s advances. With ten minutes remaining in the first half and the continued pressure, Dracut was able to place a shot past Nickerson to tie the game 1-1. With the first half ending both teams walked off the field tied 1-1.
With the restart of the second half Maddie Robillard took over the goalkeeper duties. After getting caught off guard with the restart of the second half, Dracut was able to pressure Robillard and placed a hard shot on net which was turned away. With sluggish play of the Tritons, Dracut was able to continue to pressure and score their second goal over the hands of Robillard. Half way through the first half the Tritons were able to refocus on their zonal play and put more pressure on Dracut. Jade Owirka was able to capitalize and score the Tritons second goal of the game. With the renewed energy Ava Nickerson and Sydney DeMasi were able to place several shots on net. Dracut continued to fight and place several shots on Robillard which were stopped. With ten minutes remaining in the game Tory Sweeney was able to push past the Dracut midfield and defense line to cross the ball to the left wing where Sydney DeMasi was able to knock the ball past the Dracut goalkeeper to take a 3-2 lead. Three minutes later DeMasi was able to return the favor to Sweeney on a crossing pass to the center of the field where Sweeney was able to net the Tritons fourth goal. Now with minutes remaining to play Sydney DeMasi was able to break through the midfield and defense and score unassisted off of Dracut to take a 5-2 lead. With the Tritons still caught up in celebration from their fifth goal Dracut was able to punch threw the flat Triton defense and net their third goal of the game. After the restart the whistle was blown to signal the end of the game. The Tritons walked away with their fourth win of the season to improve their record to 4-2. The Tritons are coached by Chuck Kirby, Sean Sweeney and Joe Dawson.

Tewksbury BU16-1 6 Burlington 1

Tewksbury's BU16 team stayed unbeaten and clinched a playoff berth with a convincing 6-1 victory over visiting Burlington on Sunday. Both squads were missing several players due to a track meet, but at least the Redmen had a few on the bench; Burlington could only field ten players for the game and it showed as the field was tilted toward the Burlington end for most of the game. In the first ten minutes, Tewksbury had about six good scoring chances, but had a little trouble locating the net. Striker Mohamad Yatim actually had a shot on target from 20 yards that the Burlington keeper was able to save with a diving deflection. Tewksbury's self-inflicted frustration increased when they allowed one Burlington foray into the Tewksbury zone that resulted in a score for the visitors. One play was all it took for Burlington to take a 1-0 lead when the Red Devils forward had just enough space and time to send a ball high toward Tewksbury's goal that just slipped under the crossbar. That was the only time a ball got past Tewksbury keeper Phil Borges as he was able to handle the few other chances Burlington had. Burlington's lead was short lived as it took only three minutes for the Redmen to answer. After another Tewksbury errant shot and the ensuing goal kick, striker Nick McKeon was first to the ball and used his foot skill to maneuver around a couple of Burlington defenders and put himself in a position where he had just the keeper to beat and blasted it past him at point blank range for the Redmen's first goal. Tewksbury started taking advantage of the open spaces, working their passing game to create scoring chances. In the 22nd minute of the first half, fullback Scott Callahan started the attack near midfield with a pass to Christian Lucchesi who gave it one touch before finding McKeon in the middle. McKeon and Cody Souza worked a perfect give-and-go with Souza setting up McKeon's second goal. Tewksbury stoppers Andrew Boudreau and Akash Ranjit played most of the game on the midfield stripe, allowing very few balls into the Tewksbury end. This allowed the outside fullbacks to press the offensive zone and set up the forwards to attack. Fullback Eric Gallant used this tactic to apply the pressure for their third goal when he sent the ball deep into the right corner where Souza was able to gather it in and play it to McKeon at the edge of the penalty area on the end line. McKeon worked free and saw the left foward Mike Flynn stationed at the far post. Flynn took the crossing pass and redirected it perfectly into the open side of the goal for his second score of the season. The Redmen's first goal of the second half had contributions from multiple players again as middies Alec DiCaccio, Brandon Alves, and Lucchesi advanced the ball with some nice diagonal passing, ending with a loft to the front of the goal that McKeon finished with a header for his 3rd goal of the day. McKeon was assisted on his last goal, and Tewksbury's fifth, when middies Jeff Carr sent a through ball into the right corner that Chris McCabe was able to reach before the defender. McCabe fed McKeon who was stationed in the goalie's kitchen, where he blasted through the goalie into the back of the net. Tewksbury's final goal was scored by Lucchesi through some luck and persistence. After his first shot was stopped by the goalie, he followed his rebound with another shot that hit the crossbar. As if he had the ball on a string, it came back to Christian for one more try that he was able to chip over the keeper and under the crossbar, finally settling into the net. The Redmen will get next weekend off before they finish with two games as a tune-up before they head to the Commissioner's Cup.

Follow us on Facebook at Follow us on Twitter at @TewksburyToday Follow us on Instagram at YourTewksburyToday