Skip to main content

Demoulas Negotiations Reach Critical Stage, Closing Of 61 Stores An Option

Aug 27, 2014 09:00AM, Published by Bill Gilman, Categories: Business



The negotiations over the future of Demoulas Supermarkets has suddenly reached a critical stage.
The Boston Globe is reporting that the company's Board of Directors and senior management are exploring a so-called "contingency plan" that would close 61 of the 71 New England Market Basket stores to stop the loss of millions of dollars a day caused by the ongoing strike and consumer boycott.
According to the story in the Globe, the board feels that if a deal to sell the company to former CEO Arthur T. Demoulas is not completed soon, it will have no choice but to close the stores and layoff thousands of employees.
In the meantime, negotiations between the two sides continued late into Tuesday night and are expected to resume Wednesday.
Arthur T. Demoulas and his siblings own 49.5 percent of Demoulas stock. They are attempting to buy out cousin Arthur S. Demoulas and his family members, who own the remaining 50.5 percent of the stock and control the company's Board of Directors.
The board fired Arthur T. in June and replaced him with James Gooch and Felcia Thornton, sparking the employee strike, multiple rallies and consumer boycott.

Follow us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/yourtewksburytoday/ Follow us on Twitter at @TewksburyToday Follow us on Instagram at YourTewksburyToday

  • Tewksbury Farmer's Market

    08/22/2017
    04:00PM — 07:00PM

    The Tewksbury Farmer's Market is open every Tuesday, from 4 P.M. - 7 P.M. on the Tewksbury Town C...


  • Troop 49 Meeting

    08/22/2017
    07:00PM — 08:30PM

    Troop 49 meets weekly from 7-8:30 on Tuesday nights in St. Williams Parish Center, 1351 Main Stre...


  • Tewksbury Library Summer Lecture Series

    08/22/2017
    07:00PM — 08:00PM

    The library is organizing interesting lectures every Tuesday night, generally from 7pm to 8pm. J...