UPDATED: Gas Line, Meter Sheared Off Main Street Building
Mar 03, 2015 10:41AM ● Published by Bill Gilman
Emergency crews responded to the Coldwell Banker building at 1204 Main St. earlier this morning for a report of a major gas leak.
According to Tewksbury Fire Chief Michael Hazel, a gas line and gas meter were sheared off the side of the building, causing natural gas to flow into the building.
The building, which also is home to a dental office, was immediately evacuated.
Causing some difficulty for emergency crews trying to access the gas line to shut off the gas flow is the deep buildup of snow that had to be removed.
According to Hazel, the damage to the gas line and meter was caused by snow being removed from the roof of the building.
"Snow that was shoveled off the roof recently was placed too closely to the gas meters located at the rear of the building. Engine 1 and Car 3 responded and found the gas main was broken off at the exterior of the building," said Hazel. "The gas company was called to the scene and they shut off the gas main. The building owner was having snow removed from around the meters so repairs could be made."