Tewksbury Beautification Committee Announces Adopt-an-Island Program
Mar 31, 2015 02:14PM
● Published by Paige Impink
The Tewksbury Beautification Committee announces creation of an Adopt-an-Island program for the community.
The Adopt-an-Island Program provides opportunities for companies, civic groups, institutions and individuals to adopt a traffic island or other public space and create attractive, welcoming spaces throughout the Town.
Once adopted, sponsors agree to create a simple landscape plan, monitor their public space and maintain it throughout the season.. Plantings need not be elaborate, but should create an appealing natural element. Participants are encouraged to utilize high impact/low maintenance plants wherever possible.
Maintenance will range from basic mowing, watering, weeding and litter control to more extensive efforts such as the planting of flowers.
The Town of Tewksbury maintains a list of /public sites available for adoption and assigns spaces on a first-come, first-served basis. Agreements will be for three years.
- Purchase the plants and install according to a plan or contract with a landscape company to do so.
- Install any plantings by the third week in May and maintain the bed until the first frost in October and clean-up for overwintering.
- Utilize only natural materials; plastic, silk or other imitation plants, flowers or materials will be removed.
- Maintain the site including mowing, trash removal, weeding, watering, spreading of mulch and revitalizing and replenishing throughout the season.
In return the Town of Tewksbury will:
- Provide and install an “Adopt and Island” sign recognizing the Adopter’s efforts (no other signs or signage will be allowed on an island or close cluster of islands).
- Provide loam and mulch at the Public Works Department for pickup by Adopters.
Follow us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/yourtewksburytoday/
Follow us on Twitter at @TewksburyToday
Follow us on Instagram at YourTewksburyToday
, Town Hall
Tewksbury Beautification Committee
Adopt an Island
Town of Tewksbury