Library Helps Unemployed With Tewksbury Job Seekers Network
Jul 08, 2015 11:33AM
By Robert Hayes
Tewksbury Public Library
TEWKSBURY, MA – Unemployed? Underemployed? Looking to change careers? The Tewksbury Public Library’s Job Seekers Network is here to help residents searching for a job.
Public libraries typically offer support to job seekers through books and online resources. The Tewksbury Public Library, however, takes it one step further.
Tewksbury is one of just five libraries in the state that organizes a networking group for job seekers. The Library was recently recognized at the Massachusetts Library Association’s Annual Conference in Worcester for its successful program.
The Tewksbury Job Seekers Network, which meets every Monday afternoon at 2pm in the library’s Meeting Room, has played a role in helping more than 50 residents find employment over the past three years.
“Meetings are rather informal,” says facilitator and librarian Robert Hayes. “We begin the meeting with brief introductions. A guest speaker, typically a local career coach, then gives a presentation on a topic of interest to the group. Recent topics have included interviewing, resumes and LinkedIn. The meeting ends with informal networking among members, where leads are shared and morale support is offered.”
The Tewksbury Job Seekers Network’s summer meeting schedule is set:
- Monday, July 13: “How To Use Storytelling To Land A Job” with Arnie Fertig
- Monday, July 20: “How To Network According To Your Personality” with Anne Crawford
- Monday, July 27: “How To Get The Job You Want” with Clare Harlow
- Monday, August 3: “How To Reduce Stress During The Job Search” with Sarah Dubois
- Monday, August 10: “How To Plan For Retirement” with George Pessotti
- Monday, August 17: “How To Interview For Success” with Stephen Balzac
- Monday, August 24: Watch & Discuss 4 TED Talks For Job Seekers
- Monday, August 31 & September 7: No meetings
- Monday, September 14: “How To Ace The Interview” with Barbara Alevras
- Monday, September 21: “How To Use Creative Job Search Strategies” with Boston Business Journal’s Abby Grant
- Monday, September 28: “How To Create A Brand For Yourself” with Maureen Weisner
“To be honest, we’ve seen a decline in meeting attendance over the past six months,” says Hayes. “That’s great news, but there are still 679 people unemployed in Tewksbury, according to the state’s May figures. And there’s many more residents who need help that are not captured in those official figures. We want these residents to know the group is here for them.”
Meetings are free and open to all, including non-Tewksbury residents. Registration for each meeting is preferred. Reserve your seat by calling 978-640-4490 x 205, emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or visiting the library’s online calendar of events at www.tewksburypl.org.
Follow us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/yourtewksburytoday/ Follow us on Twitter at @TewksburyToday Follow us on Instagram at YourTewksburyToday