Important Details On Saturday's Zero Waste Day
Sep 24, 2015 09:42AM ● Published by Bill Gilman
Gallery: 7th Annual Zero Waste Day [3 Images] Click any image to expand.
Tewksbury's 7th Annual Zero Waste Day (ZWD) is scheduled for Saturday, Sept.26, from 9 a.m.-1 p.m. in the Wynn Middle School parking lot, located at 1 Griffin Way (at the end of Victor Drive).
ZWD is an opportunity for you to clean out your attics, basements, closets, and garages of gently used items and recyclables.
Fourteen local organizations will be on site with donation and recycling collection vehicles, and more than 75 volunteers from the Tewksbury Recycling Committee, Tewksbury Congregational Church and the community will assist in unloading your vehicle and ensuring that your experience is quick and easy.
Organizations are collecting items like clothing, furniture, baby gear, bikes, off-rim tires, building supplies, household goods, pet supplies, books, cell phones, , printer cartridges, batteries and – for a small fee – electronics like computers and TVs. Facebook users are asked to help promote the event by LIKING Zero Waste Day, Tewksbury. For more details, please visit their website at www.zwdtewksbury.org.
- This is our 7th Annual ZWD!
- Last year we had just under 600 drive thru donors and recyclers
- 10% of participants are not from Tewksbury
- We cross-promote with Andover's ZWD in May
- 14 local non-profits are served by this event
- More than 75 volunteers from the Tewksbury Recycling Committee, Tewksbury Congregational Church and the community volunteer at ZWD
- ZWD saves Tewksbury taxpayer dollars as it keeps items out of the waste stream
- Donation categories include: clothing, furniture, household goods, baby gear, building supplies, pet supplies, books and media, bikes
- Recycling categories include: off-rim tires, batteries, printer cartridges, cell phones, paper and (for a nominal fee) electronics
- Central MA Mosquito Control Program will recycle off-rim tires at no charge
- Last year, 20,886 lbs. of electronics were recycled by Electronic Recyclers International
- 1229 lbs. of batteries were recycled, including 1032 lbs. with hazardous content (containing lead, cadmium, nickel and lithium.
- 3000 lbs. of reusable windows, doors, wood, paint, tools and tile were collected by Boston Building Resources
- 135 tires were recycled by Central Mass Mosquito Control Program
- 93 bikes were collected by Bikes Not Bombs
- 3600 books, CDs and DVDs were donated to More Than Words
- Three SUVs worth of pet supplies to the Lowell Humane Society and MSPCA at Nevin's Farm
- One tractor trailer and 6 box trucks FULL of donations were shared with The Wish Project, Mission of Deeds, Project Home Again, Neighbors in Need, Community Giving Tree, Big Brothers Big Sisters of America and Lazarus House
- 100 cell phones and 130 printer cartridges were recycled to support arts and enrichment in the Tewksbury Public Schools
- Twelve Tewksbury businesses, civic orgs and churches are sponsoring ZWD with a $250 check payable to each of the participating non-profits. These funds help defray staffing or truck rental costs for each org. The 2015 sponsors include: Heatherwood Gracious Retirement Living, Dr. Steven Demetriou, Tewksbury Lions Club, Well Water Connection, The Barkery, Tewksbury Congregational Church, Enterprise Bank, Knowledge Beginnings, Best Pets Veterinary Hospital, Wamesit Lanes, Tewksbury Dental Associates and the Tewksbury Rotary Club.
- We are encouraging youth involvement by partnering with the Wynn Middle School Community Service Club and Girl Scout Troop 60803
- We now have more than 500 LIKES on our Zero Waste Day, Tewksbury Facebook page
- We have a dedicated website (www.zwdtewksbury.org) that provides links to local service providers and includes a 6 month planning guide for other communities interested in hosting their own ZWD
- ZWD is a rain or shine event
- NO hazardous waste is collected at ZWD. Tewksbury residents are allowed to dispose of hazardous items at the Minuteman Regional Hazardous Waste facility in Lexington one day each month from April thru November. http://www.lexingtonma.gov/dpw/hhhwfacility.cfm