Skip to main content

Your Tewksbury Today

Tewksbury Parents Surprised By Baby's Express Delivery!

Feb 02, 2016 03:41PM ● By Bill Gilman

Proud parents David and Beth Chase, along with baby Maya and big brother Ethan.

Maya Belle Chase arrived in a hurry on Jan. 20.

 Most mothers-to-be will tell you they are hoping for a short labor.
Just not quite this short.
Maya Belle Chase surprised her parents with her express delivery in the early morning hours of Jan. 20. There no doctors, nurses or midwives, not even any paramedics. There was just Beth Chase, her husband David and big brother Ethan.
"She was two weeks early. But Ethan had been two weeks early, too," said Beth, 39. "I told my work that I was pretty sure she was going to come on Jan. 20."
What Beth didn't plan on were the circumstances of Maya's birth. An employee of Mass. General Hospital in Boston, that was where she had planned to give birth. She had stayed home from work on Jan. 19 and had planned to stay home again on Jan. 20.
In the meantime, David, 41, was recovering from a stomach bug and, not wanting to pass it along to his wife, was sleeping in Ethan's room when Maya decided to make her grand entrance.
"I woke up about 3:30 a.m. with really bad contractions," said Beth, who called to her husband, got up and went downstairs to her kitchen, where she called her mother to let her know what was happening.
Minutes later, her water broke and she moved into the downstairs bathroom, where she called her mother again to provide an update.
In the meantime, five-year-old Ethan was getting very upset and David was trying to calm him. When Beth's water broke, David immediately called 911 for an ambulance. Boston was now out of the question.
"They asked me my name and what the emergency was," said David. "About one minute into the conversation, I heard a baby crying. I told Ethan I needed to go check on mom."
Downstairs, in the bathroom, Maya had arrived, all 7 pounds, 11 ounces and 20 inches of her. As soon as she was born, her mother lay Maya on a soft fleece blanket.
"David was great. He was so level-headed," said Beth. "They walked us through every step on the phone. David got the aspirator to clear her airway."
By the time paramedics arrived at the Dunvegan Road home, all that was left to be done was to cut the umbilical cord.
Beth and Maya were both taken to Lowell General Hospital to be checked out. They returned home on Saturday, Jan. 23.
"I don't feel like I'm amazing. I feel like it was an amazing set of circumstances," said Beth. 
"It was a wild night. The Tewksbury Fire Department and everyone that came to help were just amazing."
According to Beth, labor with Ethan had been just three hours. Now, with Maya's speedy delivery, she and David have made some adjustments as they plan for the future.
"If we have another child, we're going to have to have a hospital plan and a home delivery plan," she said.
Follow us on Facebook at Follow us on Twitter at @TewksburyToday Follow us on Instagram at YourTewksburyToday