Skip to main content

Your Tewksbury Today

Tewksbury Police Officer Captures Lawrence Murder Suspect In Wilmington

Apr 07, 2016 05:23AM ● By Bill Gilman

Murder suspect Keith Jones.

A high-speed chase through multiple communities, involving multiple law enforcement agencies, came to a conclusion Wednesday morning, in the parking lot of a Wilmington Elementary School, when a Tewksbury Police Officer took a murder suspect into custody.

Keith Jones, 23, of Boston, was initially charged with Failure To Stop For Police; Reckless Operation Of A Motor Vehicle; Speeding; and Unlicensed Operation Of A Motor Vehicle, according to a press release issued by the Wilmington Police Department.

However, according to a report published on, the pursuit of Jones "was related to a murder investigation that involved troopers, U.S. Marshals and ATF agents."

A second suspect, Odain Mark, 20, 0f Hyde Park, was arrested in Woburn, where he had leapt from the vehicle during the chase. He was taken into custody at the Woburn Racquet Club.

According to Wilmington Police, the incident began in Lawrence, around 10:30 a.m. The WPD said it received a call from the Lawrence Police Department advising them they, along with State Police, were pursuing a black Jeep down Rt. 93 Southbound in Wilmington.

A few minutes later, Tewksbury officers picked up on the BOLO put out by the Lawrence PD on the suspect's vehicle, a Jeep, and headed to Wilmington to join in the search.

According to the WPD, the Jeep continued South on Rt. 93 and then South on Rt. 95 where it exited at Rt. 38 in Woburn. A short time later, Mark jumped from the vehicle and wandered into the Woburn Racquet Club.

According to Police, Jones then doubled back, continuing on at a high rate of speed, fleeing onto Chestnut Street in Wilmington. The vehicle was observed by officers traveling at a high rate of speed down Chestnut Street to Rt. 62 to Rt. 38 North.The Jeep was observed by officers from Wilmington, Tewksbury and the Massachusetts State Police.

The Jeep then entered the parking lot of the Shawsheen Elementary School where the operator attempted to flee the vehicle. According to a Tewksbury Police report, Jones was quickly taken into custody by one of the Tewksbury Police officers in the school parking lot.

The school was placed into lockdown for about 25 minutes, until the suspect was taken into custody and the scene was cleared.

Follow us on Facebook at Follow us on Twitter at @TewksburyToday Follow us on Instagram at YourTewksburyToday