Nominations Closed, Two Contested Races On April 1 Ballot
There will be just two contested races on the ballot — for a seat on the Board of Selectman and a seat on the Planning Board —but it is guaranteed that there will be new faces on several committees, as well-known incumbents have chosen to step aside.
- Board of Selectmen (1 seat, 3 years) — Incumbent Bruce Panilaitis, presently serving as board chairman, will be seeking his second term. He will be challenged by Salem Road resident Jay Kelly.
- Planning Board (1 seat, 5 years)— Longtime Planning Board member Nancy Reed has decided to step down at the conclusion of her term, leaving a vacant, 5-year seat. Shawsheen Street resident Joseph Cobuccio will face off with Patricia Drive resident J.J. Delaney for the vacancy.
- School Committee (1 seat, 3 years) — Incumbent Brian Dick, one-time chairman of the committee, has opted to not seek re-election. The only candidate to take out papers was Keith Sullivan of Dewey Street. Sullivan had been one of six candidate for the interim seat on the school committee in 2015, a seat that eventually went to Jayne Miller. He was one of four candidates vying for two school committee seats in the 2016 Municipal Election, finishing third.
- Library Trustees (2 seats, 3 years) —Incumbents Patrick Joyce and Lorraine Carriere are unchallenged and will win re-election to the board.
- Board of Health (1 seat, 1 year) — This is an unexpired term created when Kathleen Brothers resigned unexpectedly last fall. Atty. Robert Scarano is the only candidate to take out papers for the position and will run unopposed.
- Board of Health (1 seat, 3 years) — Charles J. Roux will be running unopposed for re-election to a second term on the board.
- Town Moderator (1 seat, three years) — Incumbent Jerry Selissen opted not to seek re-election. That leaves former school committee member Jayne Miller running unopposed for the position. Miller will become the first female Town Moderator in Tewksbury history.
Follow us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/yourtewksburytoday/ Follow us on Twitter at @TewksburyToday Follow us on Instagram at YourTewksburyToday